This website is more about methods and techniques than about content.
It's a place for me to experiment with a wide variety of digital media
and to explore various ways to create, organize, store and distribute
digital materials. It's a work in progress and will continue to grow
during this year while I am on sabbatical.
The design of this site is guided by two major principles. The first
is that web pages should be universally accessible. Pages should look
good and load fast regardless of what computer or browser is used.
The second is that information should be free. We all gain from cooperation
For a detailed account of the building of this website see the Site
The Zip Boing Wow website was established on September 30, 2001.
However, the title goes all the way back to 1994 when I presented
a workshop on creating multimedia in HyperCard and called it "Zip
Boing Wow". Then as now the purpose was to demonstrate the various
ways to create and display text, pictures, sounds, animations, and
movies on a computer. Back then we made programs to run on individual
computers and distributed content on floppy disks or CD-ROMs. Today
we distribute worldwide on the Web.
Monitor Resolution: 640 x 480 pixels and up. Looks best on
800 x 600.
Color depth: 24-bit
Computer platform: both Macintosh and Windows
Browser compatibility: Netscape 4 and above and Internet Explorer
4 and above
may use Flash, Shockwave, QuickTime, or RealMedia
Speed: main pages should load within 15 seconds over 28K dialup
- Macintosh iBook and G3 computers
- Wacom Graphire tablet and mouse
- Psion MX5 palmtop computer
- Sony DSC-70 digital camera
- Minolta Dimage Scan Dual 35mm film scanner
- UMax PowerLook III flatbed scanner
- Epson Stylus Color 900 printer
- Canon BJC-55 portable printer and scanner
- Macromedia Dreamweaver 4.0 web page editor
- Adobe Photoshop Elements 1.0 and Photoshop 5.0 image editors
- Painter 5.0 drawing and painting
- GifBuilder 0.5 animated GIF editor
- SoundEdit 16 version 2 audio editor
- IMovie 2 video editor
- Netscape Communicator 4.75 and Internet Explorer 5.0 browsers
- Fetch 3.0.3 FTP application
- Word 5.1 and SimpleText word processors
- Acrobat Reader 4.0 PDF reader
- OmniPage Pro 5.0 Optical Character Recognition
- Ikonboard forum software
Web Host and Registration: